Monday, February 6, 2006

Rainy Day

Nothing much of great interest at work lately. The past few shifts I was up all night running calls.Yesterday, I was swapped over to the engine. We didn't have very many calls, we were expecting the calls to really start as soon as the super bowl ended. "My team lost but they're better than your team." Anything ranging from drunkenness to shootings and stabbings was expected. We were able to watch 95% of the game uninterrupted.

We had a call sometime after midnight for a stabbing, but there wasn't anything to it. All of our units went inservice just a couple minutes after getting onscene.

The only call of real interest was a "smoke in the area of." For whatever reason a full house fire assignment was dispatched. We were the 2nd unit onscene and there was quite a bit of smoke pouring out of a small house on the corner. The first-in crew already had a quick knockdown so me and my Capt backed out for a moment to put on our masks and open up our SCBA's.

Searching the house, there wasn't anyone to be found so we went back to the room where the fire had been. We found out that there had been some boards blocking the doors shut and the fire appeared to be arson.

We pulled a little sheetrock and nosed around in the crawl space under the house, then went back in service.

On the funnier side of things, we have this stuffed animal that's supposed to be on one of the trucks to give to a child onscene to make him/her feel better. Well, this little piggy has made it's rounds in the bunkroom and been in everybody's bed. I guess it got bored last night and made it's way to the bay, just outside the bathroom door. The engine had a call and right as we came back, the "stalkee" came out of the bathroom and locked eyes with his stalker.

 

Be safe and have fun

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad to see your blog is back up and running.  I found your site when I first joined a volunteer dept. and I have to say that blogging has almost become a therapeutic necessity for me.  I sometimes think about your struggles with asshole captains and the like, when I write my own blog (I commented on yours once before).  I hope you don't mind if I share it with you.  It's not always about Firefighting, I'm a psychiatric counselor by profession, but I hope it's mildly entertaining.

http://www.myspace.com/intensifire37