Tuesday, September 7, 2004

Hurricane fun...

Ya gotta love what a hurricane does to traffic, people, and simple things like the power. We got to the academy this morning and everything was pitch black...no power at all. Those of us that had them, retrieved flashlights from our vehicles. We sat around in the dark, enjoying the serenity of it all, happy to be shaded from the rain. *BoOm!!* The instructors burst that bubble...PT formation! We ran for about an hour and a half...5 minutes into it we were drenched! I'll dare to mention the 8-inch deep x 7-foot across puddle we ran through 5 times. (I'm feeling lucky tonight...lol)  I just hope my shoes won't be too soaked for tomorrow. We made it back to the academy at 0905 and had until 0915 to get changed into BDU's, Chief's coming to talk to us...still no power-where's that stupid flashlight?

About 0925, Captain finally made it down to talk to us. Due to the massive amout of power outtages (including ours) we were getting assigned to fire stations. I made it to my assigned station right at 1000. I was quickly assigned to the engine and within a few minutes, ran a call to a house fire. C'mon, my luck isn't THAT good...there was no fire. It was reported by the alarm company and was obviously a false alarm. Later on, the ladder made it back to the station and I was swapped, a priviledge the other firefighters from that station are never afforded. Moments after I took the last bite of my lunch, the bell rang. Rock and roll...Big dispatch, house fire-possibly spread to next house over, the nearest ladder was on a call so we were part of the first alarm. Again, my luck isn't that good- that ladder went in service so we're SOL again.  A possible reprieve? Second alarm goes out and we are off again. Well, we made it all but the last mile there, and the second alarm was cancelled. The engine that I was on earlier, from my station, was part of the first alarm and I got to watch them go zipping past as we turned around. And yes, my heart sank...especially when I found out later that about 5 of my classmates were there. Not sure if I would've really missed the overhaul portion- but this whole day was a stroke of luck to start with (so-to-speak). Absolutely nothing else happened all day, I sat around the station watching TV and joking around with the guys. We thought we'd get more calls so none of us took our turnout pants off after lunch, oh well, live and learn.

I got off work 2 hours ago and I'm bored brainless. I'm a couple weeks ahead in my workbook, and I literally can't focus on studying anymore. I'm burned of the stupid book, 3-day weekends = long hours in the book.   We were told that we would be at our stations 'until further notice.' OK then, so do I report to the academy or to the fire station at 0700 tomorrow? The wind is supposed to pick up again overnight, I kinda hope it does so this 'until further notice' thing can be more than a day long...It all (probably) hinges on if the academy has power in the morning. I hope not.

Take care, and avoid any and all hurricanes

Eddie, I know you're reading this...thought you were gonna call me last week, buttmunch

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well.. I'm not Eddie.. but I would have called you... I have been called worse, too. Buttmunch? lol

I hope you are doing ok out in the storms. I know you don't have lots of time to jounal but please send me a little e-mail or something if you get a chance. We'll catch up one of these days..

later days..