Sunday, November 7, 2004

First Shift

Friday night I hardly received any sleep, not for lack of trying, I was too excited. Like a kid on Christmas morning, I couldn't wait for it to be time to get up...Only I was going to work instead of getting presents. 

My new home is a double company, a Rescue and an Engine-normal crew of 5 per shift. It's not in the area of town I'd prefer, in fact, it's in one of the areas I usually avoid. It could be worse.

I made it to the station about 0625 and had to wait until someone else showed up to get in (I don't have a key yet). I made it in and met my Cap't and the guy who would be driving the engine for the day, the rest of the crew arrived not long afterward. I put my gear on the engine and watched the driver check the inventory log, I was trying to get a rough idea where everything was. The engine was moved outside so we could wash it and clean it up. Cap't came out to talk to me and let me know what my responsibilities would be. I knew that being the rookie I'd get the crappy jobs, but I didn't know I'd have ALL the jobs. Being a Saturday (house day) there was a little more to be done. I had to clean the bathroom, sweep and mop/or vaccuum all floors, turn up all the matresses so they could air out, empty the trashcans, clean the dishes and empty the dishwasher. I'm also responsible for putting the exhaust system over the tailpipe after each call and I'm the one who pumps the gas when the engine needs it (we have a big diesel storage tank at the station).

The first 2 calls of the day were fire alarms-both were false alarms. The first was smoke in the kitchen of a restaraunt, it was the first time their heater system had been used this year. The other was a fog machine in a church that set off the alarm. The next few calls were medical-related. One was a 4-car accident on the expressway. The 2 people in the car that caused the accident were transported to the hospital with neck and back pain.

The next call was dispatched as a possible broken finger. HA! We rolled up to see 2 police cars onscene. Inside, a man was arrested right after we arrived. The lady with the "broken finger" claimed he locked her in a bedroom overnight and threw her down some stairs and beat her that morning. PD came back in to question her after finding out she had a restraining order against him. He got a nice ride with a new pair of shiny silver bracelets, she got to sign a TNT.

We had a break from calls for a while and went to do some hydrant testing. Again, being the rookie, I had to spin the hydrants...all 15-20 of them. We got through one subdivision and had to catch another call. Difficulty breathing at an assisted living facility. Claimed to be in pain but had multiple pain prescriptions, was transported to the hospital. We went in service and picked up lunch on the way back to the station.

Later on, we finished checking the hydrants in that area and ran a few more calls not worth mentioning. That night, we were cancelled on most of our calls. Another fire alarm came in, this time at the mall-it was another false alarm. We also responded to a woman in labor, our driver was a paramedic and rode on the BLS ambulance to the hospital in case she had the baby while enroute. After picking him up, we made it to the station and were able to lay in bed all of 2 minutes before the bell rang again, we were cancelled while enroute. Finally made it to bed about 0245 and slept until shift change at 0700. We ran at least 10 calls and I'm beat. It'll be better once I get used to it, the fact that it gets dark at 1800 doesn't help.

I'll try to write down some notes so I can remember the 'good calls' from my next shift (Tuesday). Until then...it's dinnertime, then naptime.

Take care and stay safe

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey you need to remember that you can not post call information. such as the whole broke finger call. these people we go out on are tax payers and their personal lives dont need to be posted on the internet. besides it violates the hipa laws. you need to learn that rookies are to be seen and not heard. we all have been there and we know you are excited . maybe instead of writing you could be studying your teritory or your pumper. o and you are at a single company a double would be a engine and ladder , hzmat , quint , heavy , or other piece of fire equipment recues dont count. I didnt mean this letter in a bad way i just wanted you to know that there are people in this department that will eat you alive you doing things like this. dont put yourself on their radar.

be safe....... dcfrff2

Anonymous said...

I don't see any HIPA violations in what's been told. No personal info such as name, age, race, or even a general location were divulged.  There is no way, based on what's presented, that a person's privacy could be violated.  I , personally, am looking forward to future journal entries & will remain interested in how your career progresses.  Just a word of advice...being a rookie, always keep one eye looking over your shoulder. And remember, respect is not a given...it has to be earned...put in your time...your day will come.  I'm very proud of you !!

Anonymous said...

Rediculous....There are no HIPPA violations here, so no one with half a brain should have any problems with any entries you have made thus far.  Congrats to you, and keep the entries coming!  --Scott