Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Safety thoughts....

First of all...dcfrff2, thanks for the warning, I didn't think I'd put anything down that could violate hipa-guess that's how you live and learn. I'd been told that an engine and a rescue were considered a double company, I stand corrected. I somewhat figured the big brass would try to keep up with us and if I have to I will make this a private journal- but that is my last resort. For me, this is my outlet, a chance to get everything off my chest, and share stories with some friends...and not all of it is fire related (quite often it's my parents). I'll see if I can still get my point across without giving too much information.

I'm so tired right now I don't plan to write much anyways.

That being said.....

As the weather grows colder, I'm with the general populous...I turn up the furnace, grab warm blankets, and (if I had one) I would light a fire in the fireplace. This is the time of year to make sure everything is in it's place and working properly. If you have a gas stove, furnace, or water heater- make sure there are no leaks in the gas lines and that anything that could ignite a fire or prevent firefighters from getting to a fire to put it out is removed from that area. If you are fortunate enough to have a fireplace, this is the time to have someone clean the chimney, if it prevents a fire, it's money well spent...and always remember to open the flue. Don't forget to check the batteries in your smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors as well.

Other than that, we ran about 10-15 calls. Most were fire alarms-either false alarms or we were cancelled. Came eerily close to making it to a couple legitimate calls for something burning. Only had a couple medical calls, nothing interesting on either call for us...just helped the guys out on the rescue. The rest of the day was spent cleaning, doing inspections, taking a couple small tests, and staring at the big map of the territory.

take care

No comments: