Saturday, January 22, 2005

computer problems

Well, after days of going through internet-withdrawls...I'm back!!!! Turns out that some metals shelves downstairs somehow got pushed against a phone jack we don't use and short-circuted the phone line. It sounded like there was another phone picked up, real staticky. I guess there was too much noise because it wouldn't allow my modem to dial in...very bad since this computer's 2 months old.

Other than that, there've been a couple of interesting calls lately, I've been on the rescue the past 4 shifts and am on Liberty day next shift (free day off each month). I need to go talk to one of the Chiefs, I'll probably go meet with him on my day off...Me and a couple other guys have been having a lot of problems with our Cap't lately. It seems I can't even ask a simple yes or no question without him going into a 10-minute tirade on me being "just a ff1 and a rookie, rookie's always get the short end of the stick, especially here."

He also went off asking me if I knew how to drive the engine, or ride seat, and since I'm not a paramedic either there's nothing he can do with me.

**insert me getting madder and turning redder the longer I spoke with him**

"I never said I could drive the engine or ride seat, and I know I'm not a paramedic."

"Well then, what do you want me to do? You tell me what unit I should put you on, what do you want to ride?"

"Cap, all I asked was if there was a pattern to the rescue rotation and if so , what is it? I'm trying to keep track for my own personal benefit and can't seem to find a pattern."

"Do you know how to pump the engine? No. Can you drive the engine? No. Can you ride seat? No.  I can't do anything with you."

"I never said I could drive the engine or make it pump, and I know I can't ride seat...."

"Well then what am I supposed to do with you? You're just a ff1 rookie and I'm not going to treat you the same as everybody else, maybe when you're a ff2 I can use you."

Ohhh, I don't even wanna know how red my face was, but I was about ready to punch his ass!!! He went on for about 10 minutes. While I'm venting let me add that I know I'm a ff1 rookie, I'm also a probie, the last thing I need is him reminding me every shift and rubbing it in. He was mostly going on about things that happened while he was gone for a month, things he really had no idea about. I knew I'd be catching a lot of slack from everybody, gotta break in the new rookie, but this is getting ridiculous. I've had other firefighters from other stations tell me how he used to be really rough on rookies, and then ask if he still made me do 'this, that and the other'. Well, yeah.

I've been in the field all of 2 1/2 months, and, with the exception of my Captain, I'm enjoying it thoroughly. Yeah, we run our tails off some shifts, but we're one of the busiest stations...15 calls for the engine and another 8-12 calls for the rescue is a normal shift. I also love my station and most of my crew, they're a bunch of great guys.... BUT, if some things don't change soon, I'm putting in for a transfer as soon as I'm off probation (when I'm eligible).

Take care.

No comments: