Saturday, April 16, 2005

Specialty Teams

In many large departments there are teams formed that specialize in one aspect of our job or another. In most departments, you will have at least Hazmat and Technical Rescue/Heavy Rescue. Depending on the department size and call volume as well as topography and other factors, more teams can be added.

Here in my department we are fortunate enough to have Hazmat, TRT/Heavy Rescue (high/low angle rescue, trench, confined spaces, swift water, extrication, etc...), ARFF/ Airport Rescue Firefighting, K-9 Search and Rescue, SWAT Medics, Wildland, and Bicycle Medics.

(We have approx. 880 FF/EMTs, 153 of which are paramedics. Last year we had around 104,000 responses from our 26 fire stations.)

All speciality teams ask for a 2-year commitment once you're on the team. Very rarely will you find a rookie with the guts to even request to be looked at for a team. There is always an exception to every rule... The Bicycle Medics.

I recently read in our station newsletter that the team was accepting applications, so I sent one in. I received a call the next shift letting me know there would be a meeting the next week and I was invited to attend.

SO....

I did.

 

After talking to the Batt. Chief and getting a run-down of responsibilities, what type of events we work, etc... I (along with a few others) was accepted onto the team.

I'm not really sure how many if any interesting calls I'll have on the bikes, but I'm going to be put through a rough 4-day class in June. I'll have to learn to ride the bike across a 2x6 board, dodge pedestrians and other obstacles, stuff like that. As part of our regular training, I'll have to do practicals on how to respond to certain calls with the limited amount of gear that's carried on the bikes.

Since I'm just an EMT, I'll always be paired with a Paramedic. Not like I mind, all the medics on the team are really nice and great at what they do.

The only funny thing is the bikes (only 7, might be getting 3 more soon) are different sizes... 16, 18, 20, and 22 inch. I'm the shortest one so I get the short bike   LOL. The 16" bike also has a female seat on it (go figure). But, all the bikes are numbered,  and "my" bike is #1.

Take Care

No comments: