Friday, August 26, 2005

So Frustrating!!!

Well, after 6 days, my internet connection has finally been restored. For the 3rd time...we shall see how long it lasts this time.

I went swimming Tuesday night and for the first time in my life, I think I have swimmer's ear. I bought some "swim-ear" drops and can't use them (they made my ear burn and reduced me to tears). I've already tried home remedies like sleeping on that side with a heat pack under my ear....no relief. I may just be feeling whiny, but I can barely hear out of my left ear, and my balance sucks.

Work is still just as frustrating as ever. My captain is still a very annoying pain in my ass. Me and a friend put in paperwork to swap station assignments. No news on if or when the swap will be honored.

I've been considering a certain swap for a couple months now, but recently decided to act on my decision. When I first decided I wanted to work in public safety, I was unsure about going Fire/EMS or Police. During my car accident a few years ago, I dealt mainly with Fire/EMS due to my injuries. After the accident, I decided to go to the fire side...A choice I'm starting to regret.

I tried to step back and take an unbiased look at the pros and cons of each side...

Fire/EMS : Police

24 hours on, 48 hours off  :   4-10 hour days, 3 days off

Possibility of being sent anywhere county-wide at a moments notice  :  Always working at assigned precinct

Constant need to request training  : Training scheduled regularly

Training off-duty with no pay  :  In-service training on-duty with pay

Assigned from training directly into operations  :  Assigned into operations with an FTO for a few weeks

Fire Stations, Fire Marshall, Arson, TRT, K-9 S&R, Haz-Mat, Airport Crash, Forrestry, Bike Team, SWAT Medics (Medic only)  :  Uniform Patrol, Detective, Arson, SWAT, STAR Team, Motorcycle Patrol, Park Patrol, Bomb Squad, K-9, Air Support, Property/Evidence Unit, Major Crimes, Communications (911), Homeland Security, Code Enforcement, Animal Control

Limited personal protection (pocket knife, medical jump bags, tools from fire truck)  :  Greater level of protection (Bullet-proof vest, pocket knife, ASP baton, OC spray, Beretta 9mm, possible backup sidearm, tactital hand-to-hand training)

Usually welcomed by all in emergency situations  :  Welcomed by some in emergency situations

I'm sure I could continue my list, but I'm going to stop here. I'm not giving up on being a good Firefighter/EMT...I plan to work as a volunteer on some of my off-days to keep all of my certifications up. I'm just tired of spending day 1 at work, day 2 recovering/sleeping, and day 3 getting ready to do it all over again. 

Over & Out until then.....Be Safe

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've only just started as a Volunteer FF, and I also took a 30-hr Citizen's Police class.  My partner said it best when she expressed, "When you get a fire call, I ask God to keep you safe and it's that simple.  When you went on those damn ride-alongs with the PD, I was scared out of my mind for the entire 8 hours."  I've never met a FF who didn't love what they do, but I know of plenty of cops who've commited suicide from job burnout and lack of support.  I enjoy your blog and it's clear you have a rational mind, just don't let your jackass Captain win.  Try H2O2 in your ear, or alcohol, and massage the ear canal between your jawbone and carotid artery to work it down to the blockage.  Take care.