Wednesday, July 28, 2004

Aaaaa-CHOOOO!!!

Well, today somewhat sucks...that's right, I have a cold in the middle of July. It's been bouncing around my class for over a month and I finally caught it.

YESTERDAY....learned about portable extinguishers, then got to use a couple. We got into full turnouts (were not allowed to be on air or have on our facepiece) and went to the burn pits. Each pit is probably 6 ft in diameter and 4 ft tall. We approached with a dry chemical extinguisher first, then a CO2 extinguisher, all with the aid of an instructor. Now don't get me wrong, I know fire is hot, but MAN, standing a couple feet from it anything exposed will get roasted!

TODAY...instead of normal PT, we spent 2 1/4 hours doing rapid-dress and running around the academy and up the tower. It's rough to get into full gear and be on air in 2 minutes or less, I was able to do it in 1:45. We took our fire extinguisher test, which I hate to say, I fubar-ed (too many conflicts over time in my personal life, I know I could've done better). But I did get some good news, I passed all portions of the National Registry and will be getting the "big envelope". The latter portion of the day was spent learning knots. We now have our ropes, and tomorrow will continue tying knots and will name the rope. Oh, on a side note, these ropes will stay with us until graduation, god help you if the instructors get a hold of your rope...you will earn it back.

I hear cold medicine and my bed calling out to me, the VCR is set to record "Rescue Me", and I've got to get some sleep-unlike last night.

Take care

No comments: