Monday, June 21, 2004

Crazy things goin' on

It's been a bit hectic since Wednesday. My grandad is still in the hospital, his cancer is back. My Aunt's (who's been in a nursing home for a year) house was sold, so I had to help clean it out over the weekend. I did manage to spend a little time with my dad yesterday, I bought him a flight simulator-type game for XBox. Air Force Delta Storm...This computer is too slow to run his good programs anymore, something's better than nothing. It's taking a bit of getting used to, but he's figuring it out and seems to like it.

Today we took our geriatrics/pediatrics exam....100%....I was so excited, that somewhat makes up for exam #5.

Today was weird, it went from boring to interesting to barely staying awake. We did our PT along with another roll in the water. Took the exam and ate lunch. Then we split into groups and worked with immobilization devices. My group went outside and I pulled my car around so we could get used to working in cramped quarters. It took a while, but I was finally removed from my car with the help of a KED (Kendrick Extrication Device). Then, so I could have a turn, a clasmate climbed into the driver's seat and I helped extricate her. One thing's for sure, it's a lot easier to use the KED with 3 people instead of 2... Luckily for us, 5 of the NPQ-I's were watching us work-they helped out a lot when it came time to move her to the backboard from the vehicle. I held the head of the board and, well, shoved it under her while they held onto the sides. C-spine was passed to a person outside the car (as the patient was pivoted) and she was slid onto the board, fully immobilized, and placed on the ground without further incident.

We went back into the classroom, watched the lightening (it kept killing the power=no powerpoint), and somewhat goofed around for 20 minutes or so. The storm passed, the clouds cleared, and it was time to learn about burns...Like I said before, we were fighting to stay awake.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ahhhhhh the wonderful KED.  I remeber fondly my experiences in class with the KED.  Maybe because that is the last time I ever used it.  I have been to some craze accidents, but here in Hawaii, we rarly use the KED.  More trouble than it's worth.--Scott

Great job on the tests!!!!