Monday, August 16, 2004

can't...feel...my...legs!!

I'll admit it, today was rougher than usual to me. PT consisted of a nice 5(?) mile run with 6 stops for pushups and other exercises along the way. We had 30 minutes to hydrate and get all our gear up by the old burn building so we could set up and burn a car and a dumpster. The car fire is probably why my legs hurt so much, I was braced against the nozzle pressure and moving the line around was tough. I think I'm going to start working with a different partner next time, the guy I worked with today kept letting go of the hose to do other things before I had time to shut the line down (he did it twice!)...Lets just say its a good thing one of the instructors was standing right behind me and caught my back as I started to lose it. You can imagine it would take a while to run 20+ people through each position, we did it and cleaned up before 12:00. Went to lunch and took showers, then I realized I had a major problem, I left my uniform belt at home. Uh-oh. Finally got a hold of Mom and she got it to me just a minute or 2 after formation, luckily the instructor was talking to someone- and Mom was close enough to the academy where I was only without it a couple minutes (before class actually started the only time that really counts....whew!).

Today was kinda funny also, the new EMT class started this morning. It was so nice to see someone else with that "oh shit, now what" deer-in-headlights look on their faces. We had a lot of fun laughing at how many almost fell trying to do left- right face maneuvers and a lot of other things. I'm sure we looked just as stupid way back on day 1, but that was a while ago now. The funniest thing is hearing them shout E-804 when they call to attention, it sounds awful. Almost like they're rushing to spit it out fast enough. They got their uniforms today and will start PT tomorrow morning but will be separate from us. Not only are we PT-ing on a more advanced level, but they can't afford to length of time out of the classroom...neither could we when we were in EMT school, that's why we had to split off.

Well, I have a long way to go in my workbooks before tomorrow and not a lot of time to get there, take care.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad your belt problem got solved. When we went to the burn tower in Phoenix the last time, one of our guys forgot his friggin helmet in his wife's car. So they fired engine 71s captain, and our class batallion commander. Our biog cheese instructor brought over the orange helmet and pass-tag board and gave me the BD job (I was currently a LT for rescue 71). It was then I discovered I had left my pass tag board at home and had to tell him right then. I got fired immediatedly. That was glass record. I had the BC job for less than 30 seconds and the orange helmet came back off <sigh>

I just went back and read a bunch of your older entries today and also thh elink you sent. Looks great. take care,

Karl