Monday, August 9, 2004

you want ME to lift THAT?

Today, we entered the fun, fun world of ladders. We spent way too much time in the ice-cold classroom trying to survive the super-dull videos of how to lift, transport, and set up a ladder...properly. Finally, we escaped to the outside, where it was warm enough to wake us all up. We messed around with the ladders a while and went to lunch. Later, we continued lifting the ladders to be carried different ways and tried raising a few. I wasn't the only one who needed more than a little help. We had a 40-ft extension ladder with staypoles that we were "playing" with. I was able to pick it up and managed to get it chest high, but needed help from some buddies to get it over my head and lift enough weight off so I could have a snowballs-chance-in-hell of actually getting it vertical. A bit after that, we were all getting bored and started creating things to do. My buddy, who I've mentioned many times, wants a shoutout so here it comes... While some other folks heeled the ladder, (10 or 14 foot, I don't remember) Eddie lifted the tip chest high and I climbed up so my feet were on the top rung and my hands were covering the tops of the beams. Then he raised me and the ladder over his head multiple times, I was having fun trying not to let my feet slip. It was fun hanging on. Keep in mind, Eddie has military-pressed me over his head while he was standing (all because I said "I'd like to see that") and can bench-press a whopping 405 pounds. I'm going to be a brat and mention that he can sing as good as, if not better than, Edith Bunker. Everyone dies with laughter, including Eddie.

Tomorrow should be...well...interesting. We're going to have to hump the (35 or 40 foot) ladders up to the station and back to the academy (about a mile round-trip), probably in full turnouts. We're going to be outside all day, in the heat, in turnouts mostly, doing practicals. However, one of the instructors said they might bring the big aerial ladder -110 feet- down for us to climb, I hope so. I have no problem with heights or confined spaces, normally 2 big problems for rookies. Whenever we climb the aerial, we will have to lock-in at the top, take both hands off the ladder, and lean back. I want a picture of myself leaned back that high off the ground.

Wish me luck for tomorrow

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent stuff, iorg :-)... I dunno how far back you went in my journal but there are some pictures of us doing that on an aerial as well.... we were required to clip in, lean back and shout out our academy designation. lol. Our written final for the college credits part had lots of subjective, obscure stuff like certain NFPA numbers, etc but the fire marshall one did not. As long as you mentioned you were on ladders now, literally and figuratively, might pay particular attention to NFPA 1961 and 62.. they said ladder maintenance could also be on the test... verbalizing checking rungs, halyards, pawls, heat damage, etc. Dunno if your instructors have mentioned it or not but proctors will also ask what to use to relubricate them... normally a dry graphite.  

Our State Fire Marshall written was last night for FF1, FF2 and our practicals are tomorrow morning. I know we have 5 stations but the only one we "know" will happen is the SCBA station. There is usually one on slavage covers, setting up a foam eductor, ladder misc, hoisting a tool and/or stuff like that. (Just remember they sometimes try and trip you up by leaving an empty SCBA bottle or fire entinguisher as a option to lift.. big no-no.. I'm sure you probably already know just FYI) Try and limit your options to a pike pole/drywall hook or a took, sledge, axe, etc. By this time tomorrow, I should be alot more fun to be around. If you ever have questions of IFSTA fourth edition or anything, please feel free to e-mail or what not and I'll help if I can.

Thanks for visiting and send me some pictures dangit! I always like to share in how others are doing all this. let me know if you have Brian's page or not, to.. hes also going through all this stuff with us. Take care and remember the most thing at the end of the day is we go home :-)

Your friend definitely sounds like the one I want trying to get me out of a buliding should I ever get trapped

Anonymous said...

I was sitting in my chair and it came to me "what the HECK was I thinking? NFPA 1961 and 62 has to do with fire hose.. lol.. oopsssssss.... I MEANT 1931 and 1932... (I think..) don't quote me on that.. lol

Karl