Friday, August 13, 2004

I love weekends!

Well, I'm glad to say another week is finally behind me- its been a long one. The ladders I mentioned in my last entry were even heavier than I could've imagined. Each ladder is a different length and weight, therefore each has a different number of people it takes to carry it. There was a 28-ft for 3 to carry, 2 35-ft for 4 to carry, then there were the 2 40-ft bangor ladders that need 6 idiots to drag. Any guesses as to which one I was under? Oh yeah, I outta mention we were in full turnout gear and carried the ladders in a flat-shoulder carry. We made it to our destination, about a half mile, and everyone was supposed to switch ladders. If you carried a small ladder, go to the large one for the return trip and vice-versus. Here's where the problems started. Myself and 2 others that carried the bangor ladder had to carry it back, with only one other person. Math lesson, 4 of us under a 6-man ladder...6=4? WRONG!!! We were having major problems and struggling to make it back with the ladder. We made it about halfway back before the instructors figured out the problem. While they went to hunt down the needed help, we were allowed to do what is normally a major no-no, we set the ladder down for a minute. Once we had the needed manpower, the rest of the way wasn't too bad...considering. My classmates saw how spent I was and had me stay between 2 tall people, I did what I could to help. As we neared the tower/finish line, a bunch of the class came to cheer us on, some tried to help with the ladder but the instructors made them back off. Setting that ladder down and getting out of my gear was sweet relief! The rest of the day and a good portion of Wednesday and Thursday was passed doing practicals. If we really get into the practicals (is there any other way?) we are allowed to skip PT that morning, and sometimes we can skip the hourly pushups.

Yesterday morning, the weather was awful, cars were hydroplaning, and the lady who sits next to me got into an accident. Her truck hit a large puddle on the interstate and started to hydroplane, then she lost all control and the truck flipped onto its side and slid. Luckily, she is fine and the truck is repairable.

Today we did the first normal PT in about a week and a half. We did some calisthenics then ran 2.5-3 miles around the academy. (5 laps+change= 1.5 miles) We did 7 laps total, the last 2 were indian runs-the last people in each line sprint to the front, then the next people, and so on. As soon as we finished our laps, we ran straight to and up the 7-story tower, 6 times.

Next week has earned the nickname of "hell week". Monday will be car and dumpster burning, Tuesday-ventilation, Wednesday and Thursday- back to the state fire academy to use the burn building. Fire control is now the name of the game, and I have a feeling the burns will be scorching-especially when we upset the thermal layering. I'm taking some aloe vera with me just in case my ears get blistered.

I'm going to try and get ahead in my workbook and drop my rapid-dress times this weekend, as well as catch up on some sleep. We only get 2 minutes for rapid-dress, I'm at 1:25 as of earlier this week, my goal is 1:15 or better. I made a bet with an instructor and I intend to hold to it.

Too tired to continue...till next time

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thats great stuff.. very good time to get bunkered out... I think your time beats me by quite a bit. I hate it when just after lunch sometimes when everyone is feelings all nappy...they (just to keep us on our toes) hit the bell in the classroom and start yelling to "get it on" meaning to go get bunkered out. An instructor then starts the watch. I dunno if your instructors do this to ya or not but we also have SCBA tanks filled with sand for some of our PT and traing evolutions. I hated it at first but its paying dividends now. Its like getting real;ly good at a snooker table in playing pool and then going to a bar-table. The pockets look HUGE and its no longer a problem. Same way with SCBA tanks.. after carrying sand around all week its almost easy just tagging in to air witha real tank.

Keep up the wonderful entyries... you're gonna do great. Hope to see some pictures of your dumpster fire early next week.