Monday, August 23, 2004

draggin' along

Well, this is "crunch week" at the academy. Today was Haz-mat awareness, the state comes to test us tomorrow morning. We're also squeezing in a review, a final exam, and a bunch of practice for practicals before the state comes back Thursday and Friday to test us over NPQ-I.

Whenever I can think clearly again I'll do a big update on how the burn building went...overall, it was a blast (no pun intended).

Oh yeah, about 2 and a half hours ago I was on my way to visit some old friends at the next county over's fire station (I have buddies all over). Well, long story short, I was rear-ended in an intersection. I'm not hurt at all and my car has minimal damage. Just the corner of the bumper is dented in and a piece of trim between the bumper and the taillights is messed up, nothing that can't be fixed...I guess it's a good thing he was following me too closely when he hit me, his insurance will fix it (if you know me, I'm a nut about my car).

Books and study guides are a-callin my name.........

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you were Ok in the accident! Remind me sometime when you're not so busy and I'll tell you about some accidents here lately.

I was looking forward to hearing about your live-burn :-( but understand the feeling before the practicals. Just FYI, my five practicals were:

1) climbing a 24' extension ladder to 15 feet, locking out with a leg and demonstrating using a striking tool to breach a wall, etc. He was just big on verbalizing as you climbed what you looked for in safety issues, 3 points of contact, etc.
2) forcible entry. This one was proctored by one of our female captains and she had a number of striking/prying tools and wante to know which tools you'd use for certain windows and doors and standing upwind to break the glass, making sure helmet shield was down, etc.
3) replacing a burst section of hose with a hose clamp. Obviously the theory that you need two hose sections to replace one.
4) hooking up a sprinkler standpipe with dual 2 1/2s.... they wanted you to verbalize it was to be pumped at 150 psi.
5) SCBA

We also went over hooking up a foam eductor, taking a 14 roof ladder up an extension ladder.. ummmmmmm.. hoisting tools with a rope... knots.... you know.

I'm sure you'll do fine. Please drop me an e-mail and let me know how you all did. besaides, after the practicasl, you get to tell me about your live burn! Take it easy.

Anonymous said...

I know the regiment now, so I can PT myself          
stay in shape and improve my health
and though I had some heart problems
my heart never was in question
now my heart's burdened by rejection
something I'm determined to do...born to be
lessons I was meant to learn...supposed to see
I gotta pass the N.P.Q., the E.M.T.
forget about the county and chief, I failed me
the only bright side is that I know ya'll can make it
without that stupid patch stapled to my shirt I feel naked
and I was proud wear that uniform
honored to be 704
it killed me when the chief decided to take it, I want more
and even though I won't get to graduate with ya'll this year
I will soon...hope to see you all there