Wednesday, August 4, 2004

What a week so far...

**special notice- I was just at the end of a awesome entry, and AO-hell decided to loose the connection for no apparent reason. I gotta get this piece-o-crap computer running right before I go nuts**

OK, now where was I????

What a week this has been, and there's still 2 days left!

Monday was spent at the state academy's burn building. The Instructors set 2 fires, one upstairs and one ground floor, and made sure the building stayed as smoky as possible. We went through multiple times doing search patterns and learning what to do if we ever become disoriented. We only spent a few hours at the burn building, but man did we make them count! And I must say, as I sat on a nozzle just feet from one of the fires waiting my turn to find the way out, fire is an amazingly beautiful thing.

Tuesday we learned all the bookwork for any and all hoses and hose appliances. We had to read over and memorize (duh! what do we read that doesn't have to be memorized) all the different hose lays and rolls, how to inspect hose, cleaning, and the list goes on. PT was also a killer. In the middle of the run, we had to stop for calisthenics and ended up doing 100 pushups without any break.

Ahh, yes, today. We didn't do any PT so-to-speak, our practicals were going to be plenty for the day...be afraid, be very afraid. All the seemingly useless junk we learned yesterday had to be put into use. The hose we were working with was a section of 3 inch that was 50 feet long (about 40 pounds). We rolled and unrolled hose all the way up and around one of the buildings then back to the tower, about 1/6 mile. I'll admit it, I don't have the upper body strength to swing the hose and throw it. I had to get the roll up onto my shoulder and throw it from that height. If this sounds like an easy task, try it! Once everyone finished and rehydrated, we packed the hoses onto our shoulder in an accordion fold and climbed the tower 3 times. Before and after lunch, we practiced other ways to roll the hose. Once our instructors joined us, we switched gears for a while. We learned how to extend a charged hoseline and how to replace a busted section. Then, for what seemed like the instructors amusement, we were allowed to pair up and open the nozzle. The purpose was to let us feel the difference between a fog and straight stream. Let's just say I'm glad I had a big partner or that hose would've pushed my 150 pound butt all over the place! Next thing we knew, it was time to clean up and go home...yaay!!

In all seriousness, I know the instructors are there to help us and I'm grateful they put up with us...But I wish some of my classmates could grasp the idea of when to shut up and to remember the "sir or ma'am" when they speak to the instructors. They are NOT going to be our friends as long as we are in training!!! Yeah, they may joke around with us and laugh some, but don't think they won't turn face in a heartbeat and PT us until we drop. Get that idea out of your thick skull because it ain't gonna happen.

OK, I've had my schpeel, and it's time to eat something and call it a night...Till next time

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My computer did that to me once.  Not funny!!!
Scott
http://journals.aol.com/sekirley/LifeSaver

Anonymous said...

<<<<<In all seriousness, I know the instructors are there to help us and I'm grateful they put up with us...But I wish some of my classmates could grasp the idea of when to shut up and to remember the "sir or ma'am" when they speak to the instructors. They are NOT going to be our friends as long as we are in training!!!>>>>>

There is no rook to not address an instructor that way at our place. Not being professional is worth LOTS of pushups. They were lo9ts harder on us in the beginning and have slacked up somewhat since the beginning but you're right, they will not be "friends" until the fat lady sings. You can tell they care but need to maintain that obective impartiality to do their job right.