Friday, December 17, 2004

What does it look like?

Last shift can be summed up with just one word....Murder. Halfway through the shift I was starting to forget what the inside of my station looked like.

Thus far, working 24-hour shifts hasn't been that bad. At least until last shift. From a few minutes after 0700, as soon as the previous crew came back from their call, we were off and running. We caught call after call. A few minutes before midnight, we made it back to the station. I put the calls into the logbook and the computer and went to bed. MAYBE 45 minutes later the bell rang for a fire. Caught another call as we left that scene. I think it was almost 4 when we got back to the station. The EMS Gods were cruel. Right as my head hit the pillow I took a nice, refreshing sigh... Just as the bell rang again. So much for sleep.

30 minutes to shift change and we were back at the station, my partner started some coffee and turned on the TV while I dozed in the recliner. The new shift came in and we gladly passed the rescue to them (They got a call before I could even make it to my car).

There weren't any interesting calls to report-at least not that I can remember. We ran 1 MVC, 1 fire call, and everything else was medical. Most calls lately have been boring, the cold weather is making people sick. First-time moms don't know what to do with their sick baby or somebody has the flu... Things that most people in the EMS field won't even bat an eye over, but these people freak out and call us. I know that's what we're there for, but I guess I'm still cranky from getting tortured last shift. 

As soon as I got home yesterday I went straight to bed, I'd basically been up over 28 hours. It was after 7pm when I finally woke up and got something to eat. 

Hopefully, tomorrow won't be nearly as bad. I'm going to be working at another station for the shift and I'm not sure how busy they normally are. It should be interesting, at least I hope so.

Take care

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ahhh, I do this everyday!!!!!

--Scott
http://journals.aol.com/sekirley/LifeSaver