Saturday, May 29, 2004

Bored

Thursday....

Fairly long day, I didn't get to do PT because I had to go with a couple classmates for a random drug screening. Feel the overwhelming excitement? Made it back to the Academy in time to join the rest of the class in the lesson of the day: Geriatrics   aka, old folks. This is one of the largest chapters and it took most of the day. About 1530, or 3:30, I went with one of the instructors and about 5 classmates to station 20 (just up the hill from us) to pick up the 'new' stove for the academy. We got it loaded and I rode in the back of the instructor's truck with the stove, everyone else piled on the other truck. When we got down the hill, we backed the truck in behind the tower. The NPQ-II class was working with a master stream that can be unmanned, had 2 lines running to it from the engine. We were warned about the time they cranked it up. I saw the lines charge, jumped out of the truck, and saw the stream start to spin. Me and the Instructor ducked just as the water hit the side of the truck. The NPQ class shut it down fast, but the damage was done...all the windows were rolled down and the interior was now soaked. It didn't really matter, nothing was destroyed, it will dry with time, and it really was a hot day-the water felt good. I still don't know how many psi the water was coming out of the nozzle at, I just knew I didn't want it to hit me.

One of the other classes at the academy is smaller now. 2 people were let go for not being able to meet the physical requirements. I knew one of them from when I was injured and on light PT...She was a paramedic, the other was a EMT-I, the county isn't playing when they said this would be hard work. I hope it sends a wake-up call to the people in my class who think they can skate through everything.

Friday...

No PT, we spent from 0700-1400 in CEVO II...It's all the bookwork for driving an ambulance. (if you look at older entries, this is the other half of EVOC)  The best part of the day was that another EMT-I class joined us. This class is held on the off-days of current county veterans, some have been here 19 years, who were never trained as EMT-I's- but need the class to be promoted. 2 people in the other class are on the K-9 search and rescue team. I want to join the team when I've been with the county long enough, and it was great getting to talk with them and play with the dogs. They also have my number so I can help with training excercises, I live a couple miles from one of the training fields and they always need new 'victims'.

The rest of the day was spent going over our study guides, the exam is supposed to be Tuesday.

Today...

Been nothing special so far, deposited my paycheck this morning, played video games for a little while, went on a couple errands with mom. I now have a fireman shaped cookie jar...you lift it's head and it says "If you can't stand the heat, get out of the cookie jar!" Cute- a bit dimented, but cute. Later on tonight, me and the boyfriend are going to go to Stone Mountain to see the laser show, it's supposed to be special this weekend because of Memorial Day. Monday, we're going to White Water with some friends, maybe I'll get rid of some of this farmer's tan.    **huh, as I write this I know I have 21 more weeks...the farmer's tan is here to stay.**

As always, especially on a holiday weekend, stay safe 

Don't forget to celebrate the true reason we have this holiday, remember, there are many families who are without their loved ones- many have fought in wars past, but many are fighting now...

No comments: