Tuesday, May 18, 2004

OK, now what do I do?

Today was another weird day. Show up, ready for PT, get in formation, and dismiss to our classroom. We were thinking "Oh, s***, what did we do, why are we in our classroom???" Turns out, we had a lot of things to do (big suprise), and so did the other classes....The difference, the other classes had to do a lot of physical things and needed every bit of spare energy= no PT. We sit down and watch our video on CPR from the AHA (american heart association).

About 0900, another instructor comes into the room and picks 2 random students, right behind him is my other instructor telling me to "get out there." They wanted me to help with some moulage so we could take pictures for the website. I helped get some of the make-up put onto my classmates and myself and we walk to where the new burn building is under construction and set up. A couple people at a time to lay out and look dead or injured. Only took a few minutes, not really even worth it for the time it takes to scrub the makeup off.

After the dead folks cleaned up, we learned how to proberly give the Heimlich Maneuver, then broke for lunch. Afterwards, we worked on adult, child, and infant CPR. Most people think of CPR as just chest compressions, sorry, I wish it was that easy. We had to go through one and two-person CPR on all 3 age groups using a pocket-mask, then an ambu-bag. It took a long time. I'll admit, part of it was because most of the class kept laughing.

Sometime during the day, one of the PT instructors put a sign on the snack machine. No one that saw it could keep a straight face, it's message was short-sweet-and to the point. "This is why YOU suck at PT"          So far, none of the instructors will own up to it.

At 1400, our instructors had to attend a meeting so we did house duties, mowing the grass, picking up trash, washing fire vehicles. At one point, there were 6 cars in a row to be washed. The meeting took well over an hour so we goofed around doing CPR after we finished house duties. When our instructors finally escaped, we finished up CPR and put the dummies and everything else away, did our final formation, and went home.

The exam was pushed back, again, until Thursday. I'm about ready to get it over with, I almost wish I had class tomorrow so I could get it over with....then again....nah, extra study-time never killed anyone.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://journals.aol.com/flapsdwn/Fireacademy

Hey.... Good afternoon. I enjoyed reading your journal very much. I'm in the same boat and was just searching around for fellow "victims" like myself. I'll drop and and see what you all are up to from time to time... The link (above) is to my journal if you want to check it out.

I thought it sucked here doing evolutions in full PPE with it ahundred degrees but I bet you all are having lotsa fun in Atlanta with the humidity? We're at the point now that about hald of our PT is in turnouts and half isn't. The mornings are usually a run in the country with push-ups, crunches, pull ups etc an dthenthe afternoons are all in turnouts till time to go home (if we aren't in lectures) Sounds like you're doing very well and maybe we can visit sometime on how we're doing the same things and what might be different.

Take Care,
The Flapster
aka Karl

<in journal and e-mailed>

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah... just FYI, thought I would elaboarte on the PT. Its more or less the same for us overall but rarely do they let us get used to a real schedule in the PT. They mix it up alot to work lots of different groups. For instance, we run alot.. everyday, thats for sure but sometimes we will do three miles straight and other times they have us stop out in the boonies somewhere and do other PT before running back.

The motto now is "There is no such thing as pain.. only weakness leaving the body!" lol (remind me, I have to put that in my jounal next entry). Examples of what we're doing:

Thats cool how we are pretty much reversed in the Fire and EMS portions of training. Especially this fall we can swap lots of horror stories I'm sure.

See ya.