Wednesday, May 26, 2004

A day off

Not too much going on today, then again, it's still early. I've been lounging around, watching TV and drawing- I'm gonna squeeze in a couple hours of studying tonight.

PT was overall good yesterday. We did a major ab workout, as well as nearly 200 pushups. Then fell into running formation and had a great run around the academy. As we ran, we did a rotating line, last 2 people sprint to the front, then next 2, and so on... A couple of the instructors were goofing around racing each other and having a good old time. Well, one of the guys in the NPQ-II class who is always the "eager beaver" decides to race one of the instructors. A few minutes later, I'm next to sprint and I hear the instructor "doesn't anyone wanna run?" I turn around, look him straight in the face "I'll take you." Oh boy did he love that, he looked like a little kid on Christmas morning. He ended up beating me, but not by much. All he said was "I like that," this could be good...I hope.

After PT we went to our classroom and picked up our study sheets, 6 packets in all. We studied until 1100 when we went on break, then went straight into lunch. (dang instructors, make up your minds.) About 1200, we started house duties, mowing, picking up trash, the whole bit. I finished picking up trash and went to help wash the vehicles. All our soap and brushes are in a room called the Cave, which was locked. And take a guess which instructor came with the key...yep, my running 'buddy'. When I went to give him back his key, I ended up talking with him for a few minutes. He asked me what I was thinking when I challenged him during PT. I asked him if he would be one of our instructors when my class went to NPQ training. "Yeah, why?" **keep in mind, at this point, most of the instructors are starting to joke around with us and become somewhat friendly...outside of PT that is** I told him, "you just wait until I get into your class, you're going to wish it was week 5 again when I smoke you." All he could say was that he would hold me to that, and now it's a bet...he was laughing pretty good, but knew I was serious.

Finished house duties and went back to studying for a little while. We spent the last couple hours doing scenarios of patient assessment. We split into groups, moved all the tables aside (ahhh, air conditioning) and one person played a patient while the other 3 went into the hallway. We checked our jump-bags, and put on gloves...then our instructor gave us the scenario. 25 y/o male ejected from vehicle through front windshield, unresponsive, PD is onscene and has roadway shut down. We walk in the classroom, see our "patient" and, since he isn't a real patient, have to ask the instructor, is the scene safe, any other patients, how far is he from the vehicle/what condition is the vehicle in? We get the go-ahead...go to our patient, get c-spine (he was laying prone, or face-down), check responsiveness, and do a quick check of his backside. All good, prepare to-and roll him onto the long spineboard. Airway clogged, suctioned until clear, breathing 10x's minute, applied a oropharyngeal airway (don't ask) and BVM (bag valve mask...we didn't use O2 since it's just a simulation). Pulse was 120 and weak, while my other partner applied a c-collar, I did a quick assessment, anything gushing blood, sticking out, whatever had to be fixed before 'moving him to the ambulance.' Look to instructor, he has a obvious femur fracture and evisceration of abdomen. Partners both saying we need to scoop and go. OK, I would cover his belly with a foil blanket and tape it down, then continue immobilization to the board. Instructor asked "OK, so you've got him in the ambulance, now what?" Enroute to the hospital, take vital signs every 5, stabilize his femur, begin a more in-depth assessment...."Oh, your patient just stopped breathing at all on his own." At this point I would insert a combitube.  "Good job, next group."  Whew, was I glad that was over!!!

Like I said at the top, overall, good PT and good day. Next week, our class will do PT separate from the group...We have too much to learn and are falling behind our schedule, mainly because PT keeps running late.

Stay safe

No comments: