Monday, May 17, 2004

Let's run

Before I forget, I passed my exam last week with a 92%. I was so excited to have made an A. I didn't even do that good in High School.

Not too many things happened over the weekend. Yesterday was another Pay-Per-View for wrestling, met up with my boyfriend and some buddies at Hooters...Hey, good food+ no cover charge for PPV+ the single guys in our group can set goals. Of course, I needed to study- so I took my books in with me for while we were waiting on our food and for the PPV to start. The idiot's wanted to be funny and start flipping through my books, let's just say they're sorry now....they found a picture that made every guy that saw it grap his crotch and want to cry.

Today wasn't too bad, considering. This was my first day back on full PT and my instructor warned me, if you feel it pulling-stop. I made it through the warmup and the first half of the run with no problems. Then we started doing more PT in a library parking lot, I was OK. Until we did 6-inches and flutter kicks and more 6-inches...I could feel the muscle pulling(more than it normally should for that excercise). I don't want to re-injure myself on my first day back, so I put my feet down. OK, let me back up for a second, whenever we run outside the academy property, a fire-rescue van has to follow in case anyone gets hurt or can't make it back. Seeing my feet on the deck (ground), the instructors questioned me, then one of my instructors told me to stand up. We walk over to the van and I do something that could be stupid...I argue with him. I was not getting into that van, I was not quitting or giving up, and I planned to either run back with my class, or they would have to physically force me into the van.

Loss of the day, on the run back to the academy, we ran in a large circle so everyone could catch up. Right as we head inside the fence, one of the guys in my squad trips into a pothole and royally screws his ankle....Get the van!

After everyone finishes formations, we see him in the van, with all the PT instructors around him. Turns out they were thinking of which excercises he could do during PT. He told us they looked like they were having too much fun messing with him. He finally made it back to class about 1- after a nice trip to the hospital. Big bummer, his ankle is about the size of my calf...and the pills he's now on are huge.

Today was funny otherwise. Learned about cardiac problems, and how to work the AED (automatic external defibrillator). The AEDs at the academy are specially made to run programmed scenarios and not actually shock the patient. What made it funny was running the scenarios, the victims, were CPR dummies. We "find" our patient, check if he's alert, do a quick assessment, and start CPR while our partner sets up the AED. Then run through the process of shocking, resume CPR, shock again...whatever the machine calls for. I was feeling goofy when it was my turn. I walk up, shake the patient's shoulder "sir, are you OK?" Look around for a moment, check his airway and breathing- then I jumped up and yelled "instructor, I've got a problem....He said he can't feel his legs and his neck hurts."  At this point, everyone busts out laughing...CPR dummies don't have legs, not even a pelvis- and the dummy I was using only had one of the 2 bolts that keeps it's head attached. Other than that, our patient only required 1 shock and returned to a normal rhythm. :-)

Well, my 2nd exam was supposed to have been today, since it was bumped to tomorrow, I think I'd better go study........

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

92%.  Excellent.
Keep up the good work.  Shocked someone for real today.  --Scott