Friday, May 21, 2004

Yeah, C'Mon!!!

Yesterday, I finally took exam #2......I passed.......building suspense......drumroll please...ok, I'll stop......wait, one more............92.8%-me and another guy tied for top honors. I was so happy I felt like skipping back to my seat, but I feel do bad because 9 people failed. The real bummer is that if they fail the retest, they're fired. Talk about pressure to succeed.

Backing up even more, we did a short PT yesterday, just my class. Right now, we don't have a functional burn building- the NPQ-II class had the day off, and the NPQ-I class went down to the state fire academy to burn. As the NPQ-I class left, one of the PT instructors was leading the way, hanging out the window, yelling "We gonna get your assess Monday!" Oh boy, I can hardly wait. This is the same instructor that always yells "Yeah C'mon!" and "dig.....drive!"

This morning, we didn't have PT (we usually don't on Fridays, the PT instructors have the day off). We were also the only class at the academy today. We went over 7 or 8 chapters in the book, then went outside to do practice on patient assessment, c-spine (neck) immobilization, and intubation with the combitube, NPA, and OPA (more airways).

Usually, during breaks, me and a couple of the guys will run the tower (7 stories). Today, we got bored after watching one of our captains and a couple firefighters practice for the combat challenge. After talking to them for a few minutes, we got really hyped up. The rest of the day, we ran the tower with a hose pack(length of hose bundled to carry on your shoulder). My legs are still burning.

My new motto:     A winner never quits, and a quitter never wins.

 **at my academy, we have a bell similar to that of Navy Seals, if you ring out, the instructors come running to fill out the paperwork and you leave...you don't come back**                                                                                                            Every day you have a multitude of choices you make, you can choose to give up- or you can choose to force out one more push-up...you can choose to walk- or you can run...you can choose to ring out- or you can hate the bell and want to destroy it by being the best at everything you do.

No comments: